Sunday, September 07, 2003

I can't believe I'm starting a blog. Somebody shoot me.

I don't understand the whole blog craze. I just don't have the time or inclination to basically read someone else's journal. Except maybe my little sister's. And I don't have a little sister.

The thing is, most people are boring. I'm no exception. But recently (and this has a lot to do with the fact that I've been temping), I've come across some really good ones. Some are by friends. Some are by people I wish were my friends. (All can be found among the links at right.) These people are, for the most part, no less boring than me. What they are is smart and funny. And smart and funny get you really far with me.

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, as smart and funny as any of these people. At least not as regularly. I suppose I have my moments though, and every once in a while I feel like spouting off about something that pissed me off, or made me extremely happy. Usually something that pissed me off. I like a good soapbox every now and then. I've also been temping for the past couple of months (did I mention that already?) and that soul-sucking enterprise has left me wanting a creative outlet of some kind. I've been posting a lot on the Television Without Pity forums (primarily Boy Meets Boy -- hi, guys!) and I've been getting some positive feedback, so I figured what the hell?

So here's the deal: I am not going to post every day. I am not going to post something just for the sake of posting something. Check in once a week, maybe once a month. This isn't a diary.

That said, I've been toying with the idea of doing this for a while, but my fear of sucking at it has kept me from actually posting. But I've written a few things that I'll post now, with their actual dates in the title. So I'll probably be unusually prolific for the first week or so. Don't be confused by that.

As I get better at this (assuming I actually do), I'll be adding links, tweaking the design, and hopefully changing to a better comment client.

I'm not arrogant enough to believe that more than three or four people will read this. If you're one of them, welcome! I'm so glad you care! If you don't care, well, stop reading, it makes no difference to me.

That's really the beauty of this whole blog thing. Even the most boring of us will get some kind of audience. And the extra-boring will probably stop writing when they realize they're alone. So very, very alone.

I promise I'll be less self-deprecating next time we meet. I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

No comments: