Tuesday, September 09, 2003

A serious post: Read at your own risk

I debated long and hard before posting this, because it's not the sort of thing I really want to get into on this blog, which I'd like to keep light and fluffy and non-political. And also because I suspect I'll get a lot of flack for it. But ultimately I thought, what's the point of having a soapbox if you;re not going to get up on it. So if you're not looking for politics, just skip this one, and come back tomorrow for a funny post about Kim Bauer and a cougar.

So here goes...

Or actually, not. A small but very heated argument has sprung up on another blog I read (which shall remain nameless) from what began as a very innocuous 9/11-themed post. Now, I like a good argument as much as the next guy (and can even be said to have caused the one over there), but it's not what I want this blog to be about. Unless we're arguing about when Buffy jumped the shark, or how many grammatical errors trump a good bagel.

Anything about 9/11 is going to be emotionally charged, both in how we write it and how we read it. And while a blog is all about the blogger's personal opinions, after much thought (and some sage input from The Boy) I've decided to keep mine on this topic to myself this time. Because no matter how well thought-out my post was, or how kind I tried to be about it, it's bound to piss someone off, and it's ultimately too personal for this particular blog (see my mission statement at right, and my first post).

To those of you who read this post while it was up and commented on it privately, thank you. To anyone who is just joining us and is insatiably curious and would like to read the original post offline, let me know and I'll email it to you.

And to the dozen or so of you who didn't get the reference, y'all need to start watching
24!!! Kim Bauer is Kiefer Sutherland's character's daughter, and perhaps the most ridiculous moment on television last season (and I'm counting all the reality shows, and Clay Aiken claiming he's straight) was when, as the writers ran out of ways to put her in jeopardy, she was menaced by a friggin' cougar. In Los Angeles.

I may be a little somber tomorrow, given the day, but tune in on the 12th for a zany hootenanny (it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny).

Edited by Adam875, 9/10/03 @ 10:00 PM


M+M -- I used "zany" and hootenanny!!! Hee, can we start calling you M+M now?

No comments: