Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Bah, Humbug

I just saw a commercial for Now That's What I Call Christmas.

It's not yet Halloween.

I am absolutely not ready for this. I don't want to be all Scroogey. I like the holidays, I really do, but lately I get sick of them long before they actually arrive. I mean, how can the holiday season be special if it lasts three months?

It's worse because I'm enjoying the fall so much. I'm not a big fan of the cold, so I tend to forget from year to year how much I love early autumn in New York. It's not really very cold yet, it's beautiful and crisp and the skyline looks fabulous at night. Best of all, we're in between the summer tourist season and the holiday tourist season, so the place feels positively empty.

It's just the calm before the Convention of Stupid People Who Block The Sidewalk arrives in town from Thanksgiving through New Year's, so if the holiday hoopla starts now, so will my dread of clogged streets and impossible lines. I love New York even when it drives me nuts, but I really really love it when it doesn't. Please, Consumer Gods, please let me enjoy this lull for just a little bit longer?

No comments: