Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Six inches forward and five inches back...

No one shed any light on my paranoid Best Buy theories, but I've gone ahead and deleted the post with my not-quite-accusation -- not because I'm not still mad at Best Buy (I'm still skeptical about the CD's absence from their website), but because I'm now mad at everyone. (Not, lest those of you who read the old post get confused, that I think "everyone" is homophobic...read on...)

MAK called last night to tell me that he'd tried three different stores and not one of them had the new Hedwig and the Angry Inch album, Wig in a Box, although it was just released.

I'm working near J&R, so I went over there at lunch. A helpful-if-creepy-and-oddly-scented salesperson looked the CD up in the computer, and told me that they'd ordered two of them, which of course immediately sold out yesterday.

Now, I get that this is a charity project on a small label, and that recordings of off-Broadway musicals are harder to find at the Sam Goody in the mall, but this is music from a show that ran for over two years and attracted a HUGE cult following, has had several other productions around the world, and was made into a successful (though again, not terribly mainstream) film. The artists on the new disc include Cyndi Lauper, Rufus Wainwright, Ben Folds, Yoko Ono and They Might Be Giants -- not exactly unheard-of talent. Most importantly, this isn't the Sam Goody in the mall, it's New York fucking City! Of course all the rabid fans are going to try to buy this thing the moment it comes out (I guess I'm not quite rabid enough). Why the hell would any store buyer only order TWO???

Okay, rant over. I know it's only a CD but I was really looking forward to it. And the boneheadedness of either these stores or distributor is keeping money away from a really good cause too (not to mention the stores and distributor).

So it's Amazon to the rescue, as usual. Wish me luck with UPS. I'm using a friend's work address, and curiously, the order will ship earlier to Manhattan than to Queens. Not arrive earlier, but ship earlier. Baffling.




Old Comments:
U P S....

I don't turst them.

Yoko Ono? Walking on Thin Ice?
Wayne | Email | Homepage | 10.29.03 - 3:58 pm | #

No comments: