Wednesday, December 10, 2003

I knew it!

The world really is against me today. I suppose I borught it on myself by tempting fate and mentioning it yesterday. I just turned on the radio, only for a few minutes while I did some stuff in the kitchen, and there it was: "The Christmas Shoes." Musical critique aside, the lyrics are even creepier than I remembered. How exactly does the little boy know his mom will meet Jesus tonight. Awfully specific, if you ask me. Shoes or not, that child is up to no good. (Okay, that lyric link says "if," but I'd swear he was singing "when.") But I'm glad the singer is reminded of the true meaning of Christmas: the slow death of loved ones.

I think I'll follow those cinnamon buns with the half-pint of Uncanny Cashew ice cream in my freezer.

To wash out my brain, I threw my favorite modern holiday song on iTunes: "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid. I'm such an 80s nerd. It makes me happy. Though it's always bothered me a little, even as a kid -- I suspect the starving Ethiopians don't know it's Christmas, and don't much care, what with them not being Christian and all. And "tonight thank God it's them instead of you?" Nice, Bono, way to get into the spirit of charity.

No comments: