Monday, January 05, 2004

Haveragejoewaii

(Gimme a break, I used up all the good titles first season.)

It's only just begun, and already words fail me about Average Joe 2. The guys…defy description. At least, they do if I want to be kind.

I don't get some of these guys. It's one thing to be a nerd and be proud of it, to love your sense of style, or to be eccentric just because you want to stand out. That's all well and good. But several of these guys in their initial interviews seem really ashamed of their "other-ness," really bitter about being called a nerd in high school, really unhappy. So guys, why are you dressing like that? What's with the facial hair? Go to a barber! Okay, the short guy is screwed, and losing weight can be a lot of work, but shave! Watch Queer Eye and go buy some new clothes! Or if you're happy that way then be happy and stop putting yourself down!

I was a nerd in high school, and then I discovered some fashion sense and the gym and hair product and I changed some stuff. And I'm still a nerd, but I'm a happy nerd and I know that I'm either the best I can be or working on the things i can change. I'd never go on one of these shows, but if I did, I'd have to go in with some self-esteem.

Truthfully, it's making me sad. I'll clearly be watching every week.

No comments: