Monday, January 19, 2004

Monday Monday

With all due respect to Dr. King, Presidents Washington and Lincoln, laborers, veterans, and um, memorials, Monday holidays bug me. In theater, with very few exceptions, we work a six-day week no matter what. So either I work on a holiday, like I'm doing today, or it's my regular day off anyway and the holiday is meaningless. Except for the way I can't get anything done because everything is closed. I can't go to the bank or the post office, and the subways are running on an abbreviated schedule. If I'm not working on a show, I'm probably temping or working some other sort of hourly job, so the holiday results in a loss of income, since part time employees don't get paid holidays.

Clearly I'm still waiting for the world to start revolving around me.

No comments: