Sunday, January 18, 2004

Speaking of high school...

I've been thinking about the random things that fill my brain again. I was cleaning out old junk at my mom's place today, and among the many relics were notes from high school math and science classes. They might as well have been written in a foreign language. I looked at the pages of numbers and symbols and had absolutely no idea what any of it meant. It made me a little...almost sad, somehow. While I have no use for calculus or chemistry in my life and probably never will, and it's not like I feel any need to re-learn either at this point, the fact is that I used to understand those pages perfectly. I mean, I wrote them. And from the look of the homework and quizzes in there (I was a pretty compulsive pack-rat back then), I did quite well in those classes. Shouldn't we gain knowledge as we get older, not lose it? Though I don't suppose trigonometry is any more practical to me than the name of every character and actor on Alias, I just wonder where the information went.

Of course, I also found my journal from middle school, and I can say without hesitation that I am definitely smarter than I was when that was written!

No comments: