Saturday, February 21, 2004

Contents May Contain Containers

Boy likes to joke that I worship at the Church of Ikea. I can't really argue with that, but I think I just converted.

I just paid my very first visit to The Container Store (a new arrival in NYC) and I thought I might never leave. For someone like me who likes to think of himself as extraordinarily neat and organized, but in reality is extraordinarily lazy, this place is Nirvana. They even sell the little rollers the cashiers use to shrink-wrap items too big to bag. And everything is so cute! It totally plays into my fantasy of passing for straight and having Tom Filichia make over my apartment. I nearly got lost amid the garbage cans alone.

There's something very Zen about a store whose mission is to organize actually being organized. Everything seemed to be in stock. Items that were tough to categorize or that might have multiple uses were kept in more than one section. The lighting is bright and warm, the aisles are wide, the staff shockingly friendly. There were a lot of people in the store but it never felt crowded, and I had no trouble finding or getting to the things I needed. I can't say any of that for the Bed, Bath and Beyond across the street, or (though I hate to admit it) Ikea.

Of course, it remains to be seen if I'll actually put anything in the boxes I bought, or if they'll just sit empty in my living room. At least they look good. I may have to go back for some attractive containers in which to put my containers.

No comments: