Saturday, March 13, 2004

Help Me!

So the first of the new shows I watched was The Help. It made me sad. There are so many actors I like (along with Mindy Cohn, there's Al Santos from Grosse Pointe and Brenda Strong, who played Sally Sasser on Sports Night), and it's totally fun to watch Tori Spelling make an ass of herself (in a good way), but it's just so bad. It also has the most egregious laugh track since Scooby-Doo, which actually makes the show worse. Rather than telling me when to laugh, the raucous canned whooping just points up how unfunny the jokes are, and makes me feel like I'm the only one in the room not laughing. Of course, I'm the only one in the room, but you know what I mean.

As if that weren't bad enough, during the show was a commercial for Pier One, and it appears that Tom Fillichia from Queer Eye is the new Kirstie Alley. I don't just mean he's shilling for Pier One, I mean he's actually doing exactly the same annoying schtick that Kirstie Alley used to do. Tom, it's okay to sell out, and I'm a huge fan of both you and Pier One, but if you gain 100 pounds and start wearing crazy prom dresses on television, we're through.

No comments: