Sunday, April 11, 2004

Movie Updates

I'm trying to catch up on my movies and make a dent in my impossibly long Netflix Queue. So last week I finally watched The Stepford Wives (in preparation for the remake, which I must see, since the Paul Rudnick/Nicole Kidman/Frank Oz combo is too irresistible). Okay, so maybe I'm dumb or in a pop-culture hole or something, but [spoiler]

...I really enjoyed the film, and not just in the campy way I expected. It slow to get going, as many '70s movies are, but that kind of makes the climax more exciting. You get lulled into this almost-boring pace, so that the speed with which things come unglued in the third act is as exciting and surprising as anything that happens in the story. The acting is really good, and never goes over-the-top (which would be so easy to do), and it's nice to see all these gorgeous 70s actresses who don't work much anymore. I recommend it very highly, and I also can't wait to see what Nicole does with the role.


In more recent movie news, I actually managed to get to a theater and saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I don't want to say too much about it, even spoiler-proofed, because even though it's not very twisty I think the less known going in the better (I knew very little, but one piece of perfectly innocent outside information distracted me for several minutes). But I will say that I thought it was a nearly perfect film. I loved everything about it and would be hard-pressed to find a real flaw. Everyone's talking about the screenplay, and deservedly so, but the performances are also amazing. I'm not a big fan of Jim Carrey's usual schtick (though I think he's a talented comedian, it's not to my taste) and it's so nice to see him get to really act. It's way too early, of course, but I really think he's an Oscar contender. Kate Winslet seems to be following the Helena Bonham Carter career track (chuck the ingénue routine for quirky, occasionally ugly roles and show off a kick-ass American accent) and is wonderful as well. And it's a pleasure to see Elijah Wood wearing shoes, even if I still don't buy him for one second as a heterosexual.

Go see this movie right now!

No comments: