Friday, July 09, 2004

Six Flags Over Hell

By now I assume everyone has seen the hateful new Six Flags ad campaign. It's on TV, in print, and -- bizarrely, considering it's one big sight gag -- on the radio.

I don't get it. I mean, it's not like a crotchety old man goes to Six Flags and suddenly has fun and turns his life around and cures Tiny Tim. No, he's just some crazy old man, who just goes from shuffly to dancy for no apparent reason except that he's off his meds. I don't care if it's a real old guy, or a young guy in makeup, or a combination of the two, I'm not getting on any bus these guys are driving.

And what's with the song? That song's not fun, it makes me want to scream. Sure, you want a catchy jingle that people will remember, you want it to get stuck in people's heads so they'll remember your product, but do you want your potential customers to shoot themselves and associate that with your product?

So here's the thing: I'm going to Six Flags New England tomorrow. It's my first trip to one of the parks (though I grew up near Great Adventure, my parents, being life-long New Yorkers, didn't drive, and mom hates roller coasters anyway) and I'm very excited. But if I hear that song I may have a seizure. And if I see someone in a "Mister Six" mask, I will probably feel compelled to punch him in his latex-clad face. And if I get thrown out of the park before I get to go on Batman, I'll be unbelievably sad.

No comments: