Friday, July 02, 2004

Stinky is bad. Stinky and early is worse.

I came home from work last night around 1:30 am, and found a big brown puddle on my kitchen counter. Dirty water was apparently seeping through the wall. This would have bothered me less had they not been doing some sort of work on the apartment sharing that wall all week, from what I could gather to stop a leak over there, which had involved me having no water in the kitchen yesterday, and no water at all during "business hours" on the two days prior.

Still, it was too late to do anything about it, so I was cranky but relatively Zen. I mopped up the mess as best I could and moved on with my evening. A while later, I went back into the kitchen to find the puddle had re-formed. This time, as I set some towels to hold the blob for the night, I felt something drip down my back. I looked up and saw that the light fixture was filling with brown water. That just can't be safe. Taking the cover off the light so it at least couldn't pool up of course resulted in the water that had already pooled up spilling all over me.

Much less Zen, but still too lazy to go downstairs and pound on his door after 2 in the morning, I paged the super, knowing full well he wouldn't respond, and off to bed I went, imploring the cat not to drink anything brown.

What really stressed me out about all this is what happened last time they did work in my apartment, with the plaster dust everywhere that's still visible when the light hits the living room floor just right. Hassle aside, I didn't have Radish then, and the kitchen has become very much his space, with the food and the litterbox and what-not. I have work basically from 2 to 2 today, and as much as I like my super, I don't trust or care for the other people who work for my landlord, and I was terrified they'd leave the front door open or get debris in the cat's food dish and just leave it there.

At ten to six this morning there was a knock on my door. Relatively soft, which I appreciated, but enough to wake me, which I actually also appreciated. Good lord, my super starts his work day before 7 am?? He asked if I had a leak, and when I said yes he asked if I'd paged him. Since my cell phone didn't show that he'd returned the call, and I doubt that he recognized my number, I became immediately suspicious of how he came by his knowledge, if they'd done something while working yesterday to cause the mess and knew it would attack me overnight.

He looked at my kitchen briefly, then went upstairs, where I heard him clomping around briefly. When he left, I got to thinking about how weirdly intimate the easily-overlooked job of super can be. I'd managed to put pants on before answering the door, but forgot that I'd put a hat on my still-wet hair yesterday and I now look like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Even without my help embarrassing myself, this man has keys to my apartment and could, theoretically, come and poke around whenever he wants. That he doesn't is, of course, one of the things that makes him good at his job.

I'm not really sure what I'm talking about. It's before 8 am, and that's too early for me under any circumstances, let alone on my current schedule. I'd like the super to return with some kind of update, but I guess I should count my blessings that he's not tearing my walls apart and go back to bed. The leak seems to have stopped, but there's also a really unhappy smell coming from the kitchen.

I can't wait til I move.

No comments: