Thursday, September 16, 2004

People don't completely suck. Go figure!

The other night after the show we received this note from a patron, written on a napkin from the theater's bar:

Dear Cast and Crew –

Coming into the theatre, I pushed the 'power' button on my cell phone – but obviously, didn't hold it down long enough. As a result, my phone rang during your incredible performance. I am so sorry. Please know that I understand how rude that is given the work that you are putting into this performance on our behalf. You have my deepest apologies.

Thank you for a wonderful evening despite me!


The phone rang at a particularly inopportune moment (of dead silence on stage), so I certainly understand this woman's mortification and even feel a tiny bit bad for her. For every idiot who actually takes a call in the middle of a theater, there's one who made a very innocent mistake (it's even happened to me), though knowing that makes it no less annoying for those of us on the other side of the footlights or the lighting booth. What impresses me here is that this woman was classy enough to fess up. She apologized personally to our star as well. It almost restores my faith in humanity and the theater-going public. Almost.

No comments: