Friday, October 15, 2004

Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone

I didn't even realize how burnt-out I was until the end was in sight. My show is closed a couple of weeks ago. Well, my main show. I was kinda conflicted about it. Of course, the timing couldn't have been worse, with the move and the sudden emptying of my savings account and all. I'm also sad because it was the kind of work experience that was too good to be true, especially after the nightmare that was known here as Show #1 some months back. But it was also nice to have a job that felt like a gift instead of a chore, and a run of any length was something to be grateful for.

Meanwhile, it's awesome that I've been employed consistently as a stage manager since the first of the year. This too is rare, and a welcome change from the six months off I had last year. I've been going non-stop for a while, with the two full-time shows overlapping, as well as the various side projects in the last couple of months (which will continue for a little while). On the two major shows I was the production stage manager, or the man in charge. Both shows were actually "small" enough that I didn't have an assistant. I like the work and I'm good at it, but it was exhausting.

So the positive side to all this is that I desperately need a break! And as the last week of the show approached my exhaustion overwhelmed my sadness. Only it wasn't over yet. I ended up doing a reading that rehearsed the last week of the show and went up two days after we closed. Okay, and then I get a day off, right? Nope. I had sent out a massive amount of resumes (it rarely yields much but I figured I had such a good year I should brag a little) and late in the week I got a call from a Broadway show that needed a sub last-minute. This is good. Very good! And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it at all. It's just that I was gearing up for a break mentally and physically, and suddenly it would be another week. I was also scheduled for several shifts in the box office.

So, new job good, money good...finally getting a day off even better! On Monday and Tuesday I got to sleep in, but I still had places to be in the afternoons and evenings. Wednesday was my first proper day off in about two months, and I declared it Personal Maintenance Day. I started off with the dentist, then took a lovely walk across the Park to the chiropractor, who was a little bit shocked at the amount of tension in my neck. Intent on rejuvenating, even if it's gross, I had a colonic (uneventful, all things considered), and topped the day off with a haircut and a manicure (my nails were so badly bitten they were getting disgusting).

Relaxed, refreshed, and feeling vaguely healthy, the best news of all came from Tekserve, where my laptop was ready and its hard drive had not been erased. And they didn't charge me for the data backup. I'm not sure if this was a mistake because I'd paid for the new drive already, or an attempt to make amends for all the disastrous customer service, but I'm not complaining either way.

I worked on Thursday, and then yesterday had a full day with nothing scheduled at all. This is a beautiful thing. I'd love to have a story to tell, but I didn't actually do anything except catch up on computer work from the last two weeks.

So that's the boring story of what I've been up to. If I can manage to make it to the gym and stop eating so much ice cream, I'll be all set.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled blog, already in progress.

No comments: