Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Eeeeeevilllll

Speaking of being awakened by the phone, when did telemarketers become so evil? I mean, I thought they couldn't get any more evil years ago, and when I wasn't looking they totally did it.

I've just had my cell phone for over a year, and before that my land line number was in the Do Not Call Registry, so it's been a while since I've had to deal with the filthy little beasts. Now we have a new number, and it takes three months for the DNCR to kick in, so our defenses are down, briefly.

All of the messages on the machine, and the handful of calls I've actually picked up, have been from recordings. And not just any recordings, smart recordings that can somehow tell the difference between a human answering and a machine answering and wait for the beep.

If there's any silver lining around the dark cloud of telemarketers, it's the deep satisfaction that comes from yelling at and/or hanging up on them. These machines have taken away my joy!! But seriously, it also means I can't put a stop to them by saying I'm in the DNCR and asking them not to call again. We got called twice yesterday by a local music school inviting us to a free introductory lesson for our child. I'd love to be able to tell them (maybe even politely) that we don't have a child (I don't think Radish would do too well at the piano, what with his lack of attention span and opposable thumbs), but the lady in the recording (who still manages to trip over her words) just can't be reasoned with.

Aw, screw reason! Fucking robots are calling me now! What if they're in cahoots with the Roomba??

No comments: