Friday, December 10, 2004

Shockingly easy!

My gym fears proved unfounded. My typical image of the scary sales guy is schlubby, chubby, and a little bit greasy. But at a gym I expect them to be buff, tank topped and spandexed, and totally intimidating. So I was actually put at ease by a gym sales guy who was schlubby, chubby, and a little bit greasy. I started off trying to get the discount for Actors' Equity, which inspired him to tell me that he was a theater major in college and ran an off-off-Broadway company for a few years in the 90s, and he totally appreciated how underppreciated stage managers are. Great, so how about a better rate? The joke didn't get me a deal, but dropping my boyfriend's name did. While I'm not sure how I feel about the practice of simply taking my word for it that someone is my friend and looking him up in the computer and telling me exactly what he pays, since it got me a fabulous deal I'm not going to quibble. I was out in ten minutes.

I figured it would be easier to do all this on lunch than after work when I assume the place will be more crowded, and I was so pleased with myself, and displeased with the weather on my way back to the office, that I treated myself to a Holiday Turkey Sandwich from Cosi. This is a delightful sandwich with turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing. In other words, it is bread with bread on it.

Good thing I got that gym membership!

No comments: