Thursday, March 10, 2005

In like a lion, out like...a very tired lion

No, this isn't a post about how I'm over winter. Though in case anyone's wondering, I am SO over winter! More snow tomorrow?? Can someone please buy god a calendar???

Anyway, no, it's a quick update on my ever so exciting work life. I landed a temp gig that will probably take me straight through until I leave town for the summer, which is very exciting for my financial well-being. The bad news is, it's still at Huge Financial Company, so the commute is a bitch and it's a little too corporate for my taste, but the people I'm working with directly are laid back and fun. The other male temp even frequently wears cargo pants and leaves his shirt untucked, so I have high hopes of actually dressing comfortably for the spring...if it ever arrives. The worse news is that I'm here to do a very large and tedious project. This is good because I know for sure that I'll have work for several weeks while we slog through this thing, but it doesn't leave me much time to write.

Of course, one of the few things I like about temping in this kind of huge, faceless, corporate environment is the astonishingly low expectations people have of me. Last week I was putting together information packets of some sort -- basically just collating -- and I was fairly slow about it. I made some phone calls, checked my email a couple of times between sets, that sort of thing. And when I brought the finished packets over, my supervisor was all, "You're done already??" I honestly don't know how I could have done it slower without simply not doing it. Later I was complimented on my speedy copying skills. I wanted to say, "Don't thank me, thank the machine. I just pushed start and then stood there until it finished." But instead I just muttered "Thanks" and started calculating how much I got paid, per minute, to stand and watch the copier sort and collate for me.

Anyway, point being, I'm sure I'll be able to find some time (like now) to blog, but it won't be like last week's embarrassment of paid free time.

Meanwhile, before this assignment came through, in a bit of a panic about what I was going to do for work this spring, I put out a bunch of feelers for stage management sub work. Typically, none of those actually led to anything, but two friends did come through for me, so I've been on one show all this week, and I'll be on another for the last two weeks in March. So I can kiss my evenings and weekends goodbye for this month, but I do need the money and the health weeks, not to mention the contacts and the credits, so again all is well.

So it's all good, but I'm a little bummed that I just got the blog back on track and now it's probably gonna slip again. Please keep checking back, 'cause I have plenty to say as soon as I find the time to say it!

No comments: