Thursday, May 26, 2005

Figures

Last week I finally settled into a routine being back in New York and back at Huge Financial Company. I was doing well with the mornings, working slightly long days at the office to get some extra hours, and I even went to the gym a couple of times. But I was slightly over-scheduled with theater tickets, parties, and a certain movie about which I shall not blog for a while. This week, however, I had no concrete plans outside of work, and I was so excited for a relatively relaxing week in which I could just make some money, spend some time doing things around the house, get back on track with my diet and go to the gym three or four times.

So of course, on Sunday, I got sick. I'm not really sure how it happened. It feels like the kind of sick I usually get when I don't sleep enough and I'm run down. But I've been sleeping plenty, and I felt it coming on and immediately took some Zicam and went to bed for ten hours, which should have done the trick. No luck.

I took Monday off, which felt wonderfully luxurious, since as a temp I don't get paid sick days and as a stage manager I don't call out unless I'm really dying or really infectious. I slept a lot and even managed to tidy up the office and the kitchen, but it was hardly a miracle cure. I've been feeling a bit better every day, but have had a very hard time waking up in the mornings, and have been crashing early at night. Hardly the way I wanted to spend an easy week.

It doesn't help that the sun hasn't shown itself in four days, and that it's been fucking COLD in New York City. I suppose normally 50 doesn't qualify as cold, but in late May it does. And since they haven't turned on the heat at home and always keep the office frigid, I feel like I haven't been warm in days. Because I'm sure the weather has to improve and I'll leave the hermetically sealed office one day to find it's sunny and 70, I haven't truly given in and dressed appropriately. I've been layering but refuse to break out a heavy jacket. Yesterday morning my hands were freezing but it never crossed my mind to wear gloves. I noticed on the train that everyone seemed to be reacting the same way - and everyone looked grumpy.

If there was a point to this post when I started, I've forgotten what it is now. Just that the world is out to get me, I suppose, and I haven't felt much like blogging lately. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more entertaining news, as I have updates on the apartment, the computer, and I'm slowly but surely catching up on my TV.

No comments: