Thursday, May 12, 2005

More on the AIDS Walk

This strange thing has been happening in response to my AIDS Walk campaign. People keep apologizing and it's making me uncomfortable. I guess I should have put some kind of "don't feel bad, I understand that lots of my friends don't have money" disclaimer in the email instead of just using their form letter.

Here's the thing: Though I've done the walk before simply because I felt like it, this year I signed up only when a friend asked me for a donation and I decided I'd rather walk than give her money. I've already raised over $700, as opposed to the $25 I would have given her. So y'know, it's all good.

Most puzzling to me are the people who apologize for not giving more, or say they can't sponsor me because they've already sponsored three other walkers. One friend said she was sorry but she didn't sponsor anyone because she knew too many walkers and it wouldn't be fair. This person was also one of the founders of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and is clearly doing her part! Another co-chairs another city's walk. And they apologize for not giving me 25 bucks!

I guess it's a good thing. People are conscientous enough to feel guilty. But y'know, paying your own rent and feeding yourself and for that matter saving for your retirement are all more important than giving to charity if you don't have the cash to spare, lest you end up needing someone's charitable services yourself before long. And if you already "gave at the office," who cares whose name it's under??

I guess I should try to figure out how to send another email through their website.

No comments: