Sunday, June 05, 2005

Update: Beds, Naps, and How I'm Spending My Summer "Vacation"

I realized that after my angry rant about the bedroom furniture I never told you how it all ended. That's largely because we spent the entire weekend sleeping on the glorious new mattress. As Boy put it, "I don't care if we had a good deal, a great deal, or got suckered by the mattress salesman. Our Posturetemp queen-size mattress is amazing!" And it really really is. It's soft and you sink into it, but only a little bit and then there's all this great support (which I need since throwing out my back a few years ago). Boy and I napped and...did other things all weekend long on the fabulous new bed.

Yes, I'm still irked that they screwed it all up (I'm not posting photos until it's complete and correct) but I don't loathe the headboard in person the way I did in the pictures, and it all looks great in the room and with the newly-painted walls. So it'll be even better when it's right, and that's exciting. And did I mention that my dresser has ten drawers? So sleeping, sex, and organizing — my three favorite activities!

I'm generally opposed to Monday holidays. Having never had a salaried job outside of the theater, they're generally just inconvenient. If I'm temping or otherwise employed with an hourly wage, a Monday holiday means a loss of income. If I'm working on a show, I either have to work anyway, or I've worked all weekend and my day off is ruined by things being closed or especially crowded. And I get bitter while people gloat about their long weekends. But last week was perfect, exactly what I needed. I had a long list of things to do, but no schedule at all. I was productive and lazy and it was very exciting.

And then Friday was my last day at Big Financial Company. I have a couple of days off before leaving for...well I can't tell you where I'm going, since it's for a gig and I like to pretend this blog is anonymous in professional circles (though really, how many stage managers are there with a same-named partner and a cat named after a vegetable? For god's sake, I've posted pictures of my apartment!)

Suffice it to say, I'll be spending the next two-and-a-half months in the absolute middle of nowhere. With some glamorous people doing my glamorous job, and no doubt ridding my lungs of lots of nasty toxins, but without my Boy and without my Kitten and without public transportation. I was reading a script on the train on my way into work the other morning and was almost unconsciously thinking about paperwork and props and traffic patterns and I stopped and thought how nice it was to use my brain for work and not just be doing data entry. Then I went and did data entry, and somewhat more consciously counted down the minutes 'til Friday.

Anyway, I don't know what the summer will mean for this blog. I'm hoping to keep checking in — if nothing else I still have plenty to say on pop culture from the last couple of months, and I doubt that being in the country will mean easing up on the stupid people — but I just don't know if I have the time. I hope all seven of you reading this now will keep checking in!

No comments: