Monday, October 31, 2005

Kids Today

It's our first Halloween in the new apartment, and the first time in a few years I've had to deal with trick-or-treaters (there are 100+ units here, and my last place was a small walk-up that I suspect wasn't worth the effort). Since Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, it trumps my overall distaste for children. But these kids aren't even trying. About half of them haven't been in costume at all. Maybe another quarter has thrown on a cape or some fake teeth. Many just stand there and hold their bags out, like they're just entitled to get candy from strangers with no effort, creativity, or even a "please" on their part. They don't even seem that into it themselves.

It's times like this I wish I kept cyanide or straight pins around the house.

No comments: