Saturday, October 29, 2005

Spin Zone

I've been fascinated by the political ads on the TV and radio. Unlike last year, when it was all just depressing and terrifying, I have no great interest in the commercials and can watch from a distance. The big races in the area are the New York City mayor and the New Jersey governor.

The mayoral ads are totally clean and positive. I haven't seen a single attack ad. Of course, there's kinda no need, since the incumbent is a billionaire and the his challenger hasn't raised in total what he spends in a week (that's not hyperbole), so it's all pretty one-sided. But still, good game, guys.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen a single positive NJ ad. It's all mud, all the time. I have no idea what either candidate really stands for, just that they're both apparently extremely corrupt bastards. Today on the radio one used the phrase, "What else would you expect from a tax-happy liberal like John Corzine?" I decided right then and there that I want to use the phrase "tax-happy liberal" as much as possible. Let's spin that another way: "He loves kittens and makes fudge for neighborhood children. What else would you expect from a tax-happy liberal like John Corzine?"

Of course, I'd make fudge and eat it all in front of neighborhood children to taunt them, but then, I have no political ambitions.

No comments: