Monday, December 19, 2005

No Peace

So I was in Pax, and I ordered an oatmeal raisin cookie. The man behind the counter reached into the pastry case and brought out a Rice Krispy treat.

I corrected him, being sure to enunciate carefully, as if "oatmeal raisin" and "Rice Krispy" were anywhere near homophones, and when he bent down to the case again I made a face.

Those of you who know me in person know this face well – it's a nose scrunch, forehead wrinkle and eye roll all in one.

The girl behind me on line said, cheerfully but clearly reprimanding, "People make mistakes, man."

"Yeah," I said, trying to sound as breezy as possible, "but those two things sound nothing alike." She just looked at me, smiling a smug, perky smile. "I'm not angry, just confused."

"Uh huh," she said, as the man behind the counter reappeared with my cookie and I was forced to move on.

I got out of there as fast as I could. Did this chipper little blonde girl actually judge me? For making a face? Behind someone's back?? And the thing of it is, I wasn't angry! I was just confused!

I wanted to buy the Rice Krispy treat and shove it down her superior, chirpy little throat. That wouldn't have been a mistake.

No comments: