Friday, December 23, 2005

Speaking of unions...

Early last month, at a co-op shareholders' meeting discussing building finances, we learned our superintendent's salary. After all this transit strike stuff, I worry that my tax-happy liberal ways, as well as my own union loyalty (as irrelevant as that may be to actual blue-collar jobs) are slipping. Because my first reaction was, "Can't we switch to non-union labor?"

Our very nice but not very bright, skilled, motivated or fluent-in-English super, in addition to his apartment in our building, makes in a year almost twice as much as I do. Not counting the various bits of cash he extorts out of residents for doing work on their apartments off the clock.

So I'm faced with a dilemma this holiday season: Armed with this knowledge, do we tip him? Because it really seems like he should be getting me a gift.

No comments: