Wednesday, January 11, 2006

After reading this article about the apparent train wreck that is Book of Daniel, I'm so bummed I forgot to watch it. It just sounds like such an amazing hodge-podge of badness.

Moreover, though, I really liked what the author, a Baptist preacher, had to say about the reaction of some of his colleagues:

Stop taking things so personally. You're giving the rest of us Christians a bad name. Learn to laugh at yourself, or do what I did. Just turn off your TV, look at the person next to you, and say, "Well, that sucked!"

But I think all the uproar from Christians is symptomatic of a more disturbing trend. More and more Christians seem to think that affirmation from our culture is where they will find their power. Since when do religions need affirmation from television stations? That's a little shallow, don't you think? What we should be doing is practicing our devotion and letting our changed lives speak for themselves.

And I've got news for you, Christian. If your faith isn't changing your life enough to make a difference in the world, you've got bigger problems than NBC.


Word, Gordon Atkinson!


In other news, I'm still sick, and it still sucks. I'm not so sick that it's debilitating, nothing too dramatic or sympathy-inducing. More like "Please don't breathe on me and pass the Purell." But I'm not well enough to really feel like doing much of anything, particularly things like cleaning or going to the gym. Wait, how is that different from before I got sick? My symptoms change somewhat from day to day, which for three days now has given me false hope that I'll be better "tomorrow." But instead I just wake up with a changed but no less irritating situation. Today, for instance, I'm barely coughing but I have a runny nose and a sinus headache. Whee!

I've booked some temp work -- two separate jobs that will take me back to some old haunts for the next five or six business days. First to the Foreign Lawyers and then to Huge Financial Company downtown. So that's good. And the Foreign Lawyers, being foreign and all, are open on Monday, which is a bonus. As much as I respect Dr. King, holidays are annoying for those of us who don't get paid to not work on them.

The bad news is that both gigs are project-based, which presumably means I'll actually be busy the whole time and not just waiting for some executive's phone to ring, so I doubt I'll have much downtime to blog. Small price to pay for an income, I suppose.

No comments: