Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Relaxicab

Though I accept it as part of the nature of my job, I sometimes resent having to work on the holidays. No, that's not it – I resent other people who get to enjoy their holidays, oblivious to the fact that lots of other folks are working.

But today I'm sort of thrilled by the whole thing. Today is my first day off after a week and a half of 14-hour days, and I'm just so happy to have it that I couldn't care less about having to go back to work tomorrow. In fact, I found myself feeling completely smug about my indifference to the holiday. I went grocery shopping this morning, and the store was crowded for a Wednesday, but not appallingly so. Later on at the liquor store, things were worse, but it didn't get to me. Everyone else had an air of panic about them, rushing to accomplish things before going away, or stock up for their own dinners (or booze for coping with the in-laws), but I just breezed through my day. I had an urge to shout, "I'm taking this wine home to drink by myself while I catch up on TV, suckers!"

Tomorrow I'll have dinner out with Mom (Boy's away with his family) and then go to work, refreshed and relaxed. Now that's something to be thankful for.