Friday, December 22, 2006

Redundante Navidad

So I'm doing office work today, and I have the "radio" playing via Jack FM's website, and "Feliz Navidad" came on. Since it's not a real radio, I'm sort of trapped. I mean, I could turn it off, but changing the station would mean finding another website that streams on this not-always-web-media-savvy PC, or y'know, paying attention. I'm not sure I even realized it was playing until a minute or so in.

Anyway, here's the point: How have I never noticed, amid my past rants about bad Christmas music, that "Feliz Navidad" is the most repetitive and annoying song ever written? Seriously, it's worse than "Wonderful Christmas Time." It's more relentless than "I Got My Mind Set On You." (So sorry to single out two former Beatles there.) Even "99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall" has clear and definite end point.

"Feliz Navidad" consists solely of "Feliz Navidad [3x] prospero año y felicidad," and "I wanna wish you a merry Christmas [3x] from the bottom of my heart," over and over and over again. Two lines. There's no discernable verse or chorus, no bridge, no key change or build in vocals or change in the singer's delivery. It's just those two lines, repeated... well, I lost count of how many times as my brain went completely numb. Every time there was a bit of a swell on "heeeaaaaaaarrrrt," I thought it was over, but nope, it just looped around to the beginning again like the world's worst ringtone.

Surely Latino Americans deserve a better Christmas anthem than this?



(I know I've been light on the substantive posts lately. I have a couple of ideas on the back burner, including an update on how I've been keeping myself busy for the three of you who care about such things, so check back next week!)