Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pish Posh

I haven't watched BBC America in a while, since Coupling ended and What Not To Wear and Changing Rooms got old. I've been spending time there again lately, thanks to new (belated) Doctor Who and Torchwood addictions, and the now have these bumpers before every show advising viewers to turn on their closed captioning because of the "funny" British accents.

Does anyone else find this insulting to all involved? I certainly find it condescending. Sure, I'll be the first in line to call Americans stupid, but I'd like to think that most of us can still recognize English. Especially those of us watching BBC America. I mean, if you've tuned in to Graham Norton you can handle a lot more than a dropped H. And what must the narrator (who sounds like Eric Idle, but I don't think if it is) have thought when given this copy to read? He should really be saying, "You lot have buggered up our language so much that you can't even understand us anymore, you stupid gits."

I'm really not the sort of (American) dork who generally slips words like "git" and "buggered" into my speech. But if it proves to BBC America that I don't need any sodding subtitles, then so be it.