Monday, March 03, 2008

Wide collars and puppies

I'm ripping my DVDs of season two of The Muppet Show to my iPod, and I was struck by how 70s-tastic the entire first disc's guest stars are: Don Knotts, Zero Mostel, Milton Berle, Rich Little, Judy Collins and Nancy Walker. It's sort of hard to fathom a kids' show today being hosted by the likes of Nancy Walker (I bet George Clooney would've been great though). Most of the hosts from later in the season have stood the test of time a little better, at least for my generation: Steve Martin, Madeline Kahn, George Burns, Bernadette Peters, Elton John, Julie Andrews, John Cleese. Not that any of them are huge, relevant modern stars (maybe Steve Martin and Elton), but they're names most people would recognize and if they're not dead they're still working.

I guess it's not super-common to re-watch things from your childhood, especially not with the level of adult enjoyment I get from The Muppet Show, so I'm constantly surprised by how many things from the show were permanently burned into my brain without my realizing it. In the Don Knotts episode alone, within 2 seconds of almost every sketch I knew exactly what was coming and thought "Oh yeah, I loved this one!"

This, however, the very first sketch of season two, I did not remember, and it might be the creepiest thing I've ever seen. (No embedding, sadly.)

Fortunately, the same episode contains one of the cutest things I've ever seen:

I especially like how he changes "babies" to "puppies."