Thursday, April 03, 2008

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Okay, so it's not the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal, but Playbill.com is still a reasonably respectable news source, at least within the theater industry. So I am fascinated and baffled by this introductory sentence:

___ ____, the young actor recently seen as the vascular college-age son in the Off-Broadway musical ____ __ _____, has jumped into the Broadway production of _______....*


Vascular?? I saw the last show he was in, and he was in his underwear for a while and certainly didn't strike me as particularly veiny. I looked it up, in case there was a meaning I didn't know about. Nope. "Pertaining to, composed of, or provided with vessels or ducts that convey fluids," says Dictionary.com. I mean, yes, I suppose every human being is composed of and provided with vessels that convey fluids, but... huh? It's just such an odd mistake, in that I can't even begin to figure out what the writer meant to say. I think that's why I'm so fascinated with it. I keep reloading the page to see if it changes. I'll let you know.



*In keeping with my loose policy of not (really) blogging about theater, I decided to keep this quote un-Googleable...and anyone searching for the terms I blanked out would be disappointed anyway since this post really has nothing to do with any of them. Here's a link to the original article for the curious.