Friday, July 30, 2010

On Writing (or not so much)

I have a lot of unfinished blog posts. Some are just in my head, but many have actually been started. Many of those are practically comedically old. Sometimes I find myself thinking in blog as I walk down the street. But it never seems to get done. Most often I'll start things but never edit and finish them, or never turn a collection of disjointed thoughts into a proper post. Sometimes I just second-guess whether what I've written is entertaining or if anyone will care what I think about the iPad or Facebook or...why I haven't been blogging.

A couple of years ago, when I changed my career and found myself sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, I figured I'd blog all the time. But my past experience with a desk job had been as a temp, and it turns out that when you have a job you actually like and care about, you spend most of your time there actually working. Shocking.

Which is not to say I don't still spend a crapload of time on the internet all day. But it's short bursts of Facebook or Twitter or Cute Overload, and IM conversations that can be easily dropped in and out of. Nothing long-form. At home I'm usually in front of the computer, catching up on writing, usually with the TV on, not focusing on writing.

I write plenty – generally for work or in 140 characters or less. I've been participating in a photo-a-day thing with a group of people on Flickr (entering its last month). I cook lots, and take pictures of a lot of it. My life has not been devoid of creative pursuits or of oversharing on the internet. But I do miss blogging. I like a good rant now and then, or a moment of indulging my inner TV critic.

I don't know who's reading. I never had too many readers, and haven't looked at my stats in years, and this was more for a few of my friends and me than anyone else. I have over 200 followers on Twitter, but most of them are probably spam (I'm not being self-depricating, that's 100% true), so who knows? But I'm going to try to ramble a bit here again. I think it's good for my brain, even if no one else actually sees it, to write, and to write as if someone else might see it. Welcome, or welcome back.

I threw a bunch of widgets over on the right with all that other stuff I mentioned – Twitter and Facebook updates, shared items from Google Reader, Flickr, even my Netflix and iTunes activity. If you care. It's cool if you don't. If you're in an RSS reader you won't even see any of it.

So is this interesting? Probably not. But it's here. And it's finished!

2 comments:

stacey said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who writes blog posts in my mind during the day. If I ever put them down on paper or in a computer, I'd probably have a 1970's encyclopedia set.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site judgmentcall.blogspot.com
Is this possible?