Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Great Muppet Caper

March 7: The Great Muppet CapersLast week on the Extra Hot Great podcast (which if you're not listening...why not?) Tara questioned adults who are really really into the Muppets. My own Muppet post was only a few days old, and because they're lovely friends, Tara and Joe actually gave me an exemption from the "these people are crazy" because my "Muppet love is pure." It was a very sweet gesture, but it wasn't actually necessary because her argument was pretty unassailable. It's true, it's a little weird to be really into something that's for kids (though the original Muppet Show was actually never for kids specifically, though of course kids' enjoyment was in mind). I can own that. And my love may be pure, but it's not unconditional. The conversation on EHG wound up being mostly about the post-Henson track record of the Muppets, and the lack of any reason to be optimistic about the new movie. And while I have kinder thoughts about some of the later projects than Tara (particularly Muppets From Space), I really can't argue with this. My excitement for the new movie is entirely irrational, but it's there. We'll see how it goes!

The podcast sparked an entirely delightful conversation on Twitter about all of this. Unfortunately, there was no hashtag, so I have no way to direct you there to read it, but during a particularly stressful day at work, I had the pleasure of occasionally escaping to a spirited discussion with very smart and funny people...about puppets. This is why I love Twitter.

On the heels of that, Montykins wrote this great post about his Muppet love (he also has a custom Whatnot and it's adorable!), in which he also runs down every Muppet movie in (his) order of quality. If you liked my Muppet post, you'll love his.

Then Glumpish sent me a fantastic essay by Lawrence Miles called "Nine Things Which Appeared on The Muppet Show, But Wouldn't Make It Onto Family Television These Days," which is every bit as amazing as it sounds. Sadly, the whole thing isn't online anymore, but you can read some highlights here and maybe if you're a better Googler than I am you can find the rest of it.

I am not a crackpot.

4 comments:

Kangarara said...

The Wayback Machine has the full list.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070429103153/http://beasthouse-lm.blogspot.com/2007/03/february-2007-edited-symptoms.html

Adam807 said...

Ah, thank you! I should have thought of that!

Dimestore Lipstick said...

I googled it just as: "Nine Things Which Appeared on The Muppet Show"
and got a pdf of the whole thing as the top link returned.

Adam807 said...

I tried that! Maybe I included the author's name too? Oh well...